Most people say that problems and struggles are what makes a couple stronger because if they get through it, they can get through anything together. It is also believed that arguments and misunderstandings are healthy. But how do you exactly know if it’s not making your relationship stronger? Instead, you two are basically falling apart and out of love with one another.
For some people, divorce is the only option, but the thing is, it is actually not. It would depend on the couple and how strong their foundation is. If it is not that strong or it’s somehow no longer is, they would choose to end their marriage. But for those who still love each other and would want to work things out, they would willingly have therapy or counseling.
However, there is also another option for a couple who wants to have a little break from each other, like a time off, and that is a legal separation. In this article, we will be talking about the differences of legal separation and divorce, as well as both of their benefits.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEGAL SEPARATION AND DIVORCE
This is basically where people say that you’re putting your marriage on hold, taking time off of each other, and giving each other space. Typically, you two would no longer live in the same place, and will live separate lives, but will remain married. It is called legal separation because it is more formal and there will be legal agreement involved. This agreement may contain property division, co-parenting children, and other financial connections. This is a form of binding agreement that the court orders.
Divorce, on the other hand, is obviously where it will all end. It is indeed similar to legal separation, simply because you would also go to court and have the decision, as well as have agreements on the division of property and finances.
BENEFITS OF LEGAL SEPARATION
• If a couple decide that they no longer want to be together, an option would be legal separation. This would help them think thoroughly if they want to really have a divorce since they will know what it would be like to not be together. And if they realize they want to be together, they could simply get back to normal, depending on the agreement of course.
• With a legal separation, one spouse is still eligible for health insurances, which makes it convenient. Unlike in divorce, you will no longer have this privilege.
• Because they are still married, a couple could file taxes jointly and may receive tax benefits.
BENEFITS OF DIVORCE
• Since the marriage will end, you may have the choice to get married again to someone else legally.
• Once divorced, you will finally have the freedom of making your own choices with all the aspects of your life without having to consult anyone, especially when it comes to financial decisions. This is the perfect time for you to learn to love and value yourself more.
• It is a fact that you will learn a lot from your previous marriage. This is why after you get a divorce, you now have an idea on where it went all wrong and once you get into a new relationship, you would be cautious and wouldn’t rush. This is a good thing since you wouldn’t want to make the same mistakes all over again.
Whatever you two choose to do, keep in mind that you must think of what will be the best, not just for both of you, but for your family, especially with children involved. It is a big decision that both of you must make and might be the last one you will make together, so be wise and try not to let your emotions get in the way.