Some people think that problems within the household must be fixed without outside help. This is on the premise that it is nobody’s business other than the family members. Unfortunately, it is easier said than done, because there are families who simply cannot hold a decent and peaceful conversation. Some of them are always at each other’s throats, and no one obviously would want to back down, which puts the family into a total disaster.
These matters can be solved with the help of therapists, especially if the members of the family are willing to put their differences and pride aside, just for them to be a proper family again. However, there are two different ways to do it, and that is with the help of family mediation and family therapy. This is a pretty common and wise move for a couple who are separating or having a divorce. Most people think they’re actually just the same, but they’re actually not. Here are some things you should know about them.
WHAT IS FAMILY MEDIATION?
Family mediation is actually something most couples choose to do especially if they are planning on getting a divorce. This would not make them fix their broken marriage, but instead, it would help them make proper arrangements after the divorce or separation process.
This is, of course, not free, most of the time, both parties share the cost of one mediator. This is actually way better than paying for a lawyer to negotiate and go to court. However, mediation does not involve any paperwork that has got to do with the court. The focus of mediation is basically solving the problem at hand.
WHAT ARE ITS BENEFITS?
• The couple involved have the power over the mediation process. They will be the ones to schedule meetings as well as the pace. They could also choose to have their lawyers present or not. This basically doesn’t have anything to do with the law or the decision of the judge.
• This costs less because the couple could seek for legal aid to be able to pay for the mediator or they could split it between the two of them.
• Family mediation is also way less stressful because this mainly focuses on how to be civil by resolving problems and conflicts, instead of going to court and basically trying to put the blame on each other with accusations.
WHAT IS FAMILY THERAPY?
Family therapy is also known as family counseling, this is a kind of treatment that would focus on the specific issues involving the family members’ relationship. Family therapy may use certain techniques and exercises if necessary, such as behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy, cognitive therapy, and more, it would depend on the person. Family therapy is meant for all the members of the family, not just with the mother and father. It can also focus on children whose parents have recently sepia divorced.
WHAT ARE ITS BENEFITS?
• Family therapy focuses on helping a person deal with extremely stressful events such as financial hardship, death of a loved one, or divorce.
• It can even help train the brain to function well despite the mental state it’s experiencing such as depression, communication problems, substance abuse and more.
• The process of family therapy may not be easy but it would definitely help the people involved, especially if there are children who are suffering from emotional and mental trauma.
A family is irreplaceable, that is why if you think that there is something that is not right with your family, it must be dealt with right away before it gets worse. If it got worse, however, then think of which of the two above you think would work best for your family, either way, things will get better, only if all the members of the family are willing to make it better.